Monday, June 17, 2013

Days 8, 9, & 10

The kids returned for my weekend with them and I began to feel a little bit better.  The toughest thing is not being able to be as active with them as I usually am.  Plus, they have some lofty goals in regards to their triathlons this summer, specifically being Ironkids National Champions.  With me being down and out, we are having to alter how I help them train.  They currently go to swim practice once a week with me and I try to get them to run at least twice a week.  They go to cross country training on Tuesdays so that helps.  It sucks not being able to be out there with them, talking them through it and giving them immediate feedback.  Luckily we have a neighborhood with a loop that is about 1/3 of a mile long, so I will have them doing repeats as I sit in a chair sipping my sweet tea! 

It is a bit of a challenge keeping them occupied, so I encouraged them to play board games and such, as they can play those right next to me as I lay on my backside and occasionally can play with them.  We also ventured out on Saturday to get them some arts & crafts stuff to do so that they can stay busy and inside once they are tired of the pool.  All in all it was a good weekend with my family and my hip seemed to do pretty well.  I was able to get on top of the stomach issues with the help of some OTC meds and also staying on top of my meals.

BONUS!!  Bandages came off on Day 10 (Sunday).  It felt good to get them off and let them breath.  They had basically used disolvable internal sutures and then just steri-strips externally, so that I wouldn't need to worry about getting traditional, external sutures wet or having to go in to have them removed.  I had VERY minimal brusing around the incision sites and was amazed at how small they are, literally the width of a pen or pencil.  Seeing that just blows my mind because they had to remove bone that had been shaved away through instruments that fit into those incisions...GO SCIENCE!!!

As for any tips for this time period, I would just say take it easy, get naps as you can and continue on with the things that have worked for you up to this point.  You will still notice that you get worn out and need to rest, and that is OK.  I have read where others were on their butts sleeping for pretty much the entire first two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment