Monday, June 17, 2013

Days 11 & 12

Monday and Tuesday, my days for having the kids, Sara's last two days working from home.  I was feeling amazingly better.  My stomach woes were gone and I was sleeping soundly through the nights.  We wanted to try and determine what all would need to be done, set up, whatever, before she left for work each day so that we would be prepared for that and I wouldn't be left to struggle.  We just kind of brainstormed things I'd need easy access to while she is gone for an entire day; water bottle with a loop so I can carry it while crutching, easily prepared snacks/lunches, laptop/charger in area where I would be spending my time.

As for activities these two days, they were basically the same as the previous three, just trying to do as much as I could with the kids and enjoy time with them.  Sara and I took them to swim practice on Monday, which was awesome to watch them practice, but also fueled my desire to get in and start additional rehab and training that way.  I am beginning to chomp at the bit to get going again. 

Once home after practice, I did manage to get in the pool at home and swim some easy "pull only" laps.  I also went through my first true workout since the surgery, in addition to my daily PT exercises.  I kept it simple and just went through 3 sets of planks, push ups, crunches and pull ups.  It felt AWESOME to work the body a bit!  But it was also taxing on my energy, and I was pretty wiped out the rest of the night and into the next day.  I did manage to get into the home pool again the next day to do some more laps and was feeling well enough to go to the kids' cross country practice that night.  I love watching them run...nothing but smiles everytime they pass by.

Again, here are some of my tips/thoughts, etc during this timeframe:
  • Exercise -IF you are feeling up to it, and IF you get clearance from your doctor/physical therapist, this is probably a good time to start doing things you can do without risk of injury.  I cannot tell you how amazing it felt to be able to get a workout it, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally...it is so rejuvenating.
  • Focus -once I got past the physical ailments I was experiencing and was no longer feeling pain at the incision sites, it is then that I realized that this was going to be all mental...I had kind of known this going in, but once the initial pain/soreness goes away it hits you...stay focused with your eye on the prize.  Find small, gradual goals you can accomplish so you can stay motivated and focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment