Sunday, June 30, 2013

4 Weeks Post Op!

“Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.”
~Les Brown

It has been four weeks since the surgery and to be honest, everything is going great (knocking on wood).  I did not see my PT this week as he feels I am progressing well enough with the current workouts I am doing along with the exercises he has provided for me.  I do have to pay better attention to my energy levels as I think I am pushing the workouts more in the beginning of the week and I tire out by the middle of the week.  Some adjustments in my workout schedule should fix that pretty easily, along with reminding myself that rest is just as important as active exercise.  One minor milestone accomplished this week is the ability to cross/rest my right ankle on/over my left quad/knee.  Previously my range of motion did not allow for this and I caught myself constantly trying to do it and then having to stop prior to getting my leg up and over.  Also, I am now able to drive, albeit short distances and lengths of time, but at least I have some freedom and I'm able to get to a full-sized pool.  I had another massage today, and again, it was SO beneficial to workout any muscles that have been used for compensation of the non-weightbearing leg.  There are still days where the road seems so long, but I just keep my mind and focus on the goals I have, and just drive forward.

Tips:

  • Get a massage or two.  Your muscles are compensating for not using the effected leg, and they will need some relief as well.  Plus it is just relaxing!
  • Get your rest!  I know this is repetitive, but I even find myself wearing down by the time Wednesday night or Thursday rolls around.  Try to balance your workout routines so that you have an equal amount of effort being applied everyday...AND TAKE A REST DAY OR TWO.
  • By this point, most people will be driving to some extent and able to do some things by yourself, if you haven't already, get a handicap tag for your car!  Driving will tire you out, and you will have to crutch around wherever you drove to, so no need to crutch any further than needed.
My current weekly workout schedule/routine:

  • Monday/Wednesday: Stationary cycle with low resistance 2x20 minutes, 1200-1600 meters freestyle swimming, leg exercises given to me by PT
  • TuesdayThursday/Saturday: Stationary cycle with low resistance 2x20 minutes, 4 sets of 1:00 planking, 15 push-ups, 40 crunches and 5 pull-ups (maxing out on last set), 10 inverted rows all with NO to MINIMAL rest between exercises or sets, and leg exercises given to me by PT
  • Friday:  See Monday/Wednesday, but may drop the swimming depending on energy levels
  • Sunday -cycle 1x20 minutes and leg exercises given to me by PT




No comments:

Post a Comment