Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Days 15 & 16

I'm not going to lie or try to pretend that there are times already that frustration and impatience creeps in. I am a highly energetic, active and independent person. I am driven to reach goals and having to wait around or rely on others for help with simple tasks is not something I am well-equiped to cope with.  Today was the first day where I had a "moment" with Sara.  I kind of snapped at her regarding some things that needed to be done.  I immediately had to check myself, and realized that my frustration was not with her, but rather with myself and my inability to do them on my own.  Two weeks is not too bad, in my opinion, considering the amount of time we spent with each other during that time.  Luckily, I have an amazing wife, who is more than willing to be there to support me, but also to put me in my place...needless to say, this "moment" was short-lived.

Friday was massage day, and boy was I looking forward to it!  It was only my second one ever but figured it would be beneficial to my recovery.  I utilize my favorite local running store, Tortoise and Hare Sports.  On Fridays, they have a free yoga session at 8:00AM and then the instructor, Lisa, who is also a massage therapist, is available to work out all those sore muscles.  It really is a sweet deal, $39 for an hour, $29 if you have bought shoes from the store.  Anyways, I was anxious and enjoyed every minute of it.  If you have not ever gotten one before or used it as a training tool, you need to strongly consider it.  If nothing else, it is an hour of relaxation and peace.  We also went to get a scale, so I spent some time trying to get to know what 20% felt like...whatever, I'll wing it.

Saturday we ventured out and ran some errands that were desperately needed to be completed.  It felt great to get out, but it is still a challenge crutching yourself around.  We decided to challenge me by taking the Jeep...getting in and out of that thing was...interesting.  Once I figured it out it wasn't too bad.  While it tired me out, I wouldn't trade it for anything, as mentally it was nice to get a break from the confines of the house.  Pool time in the afternoon with a little nap definitely was a worthy reward.
  • Positive mindset -by this point you are feeling pretty good physically (hopefully).  My incisions were pretty much fully healed and the only soreness was muscle soreness from exercises.  But mentally, you may be realizing how long the road ahead is...just keep focusing on small victories along the way...putting weight on your leg, going out to run errands, etc.  Also, keep in mind why you did this in the first place...to improve your quality of life.  Revisit these goals often, as it will help you get through the long, slow days.

No comments:

Post a Comment