Friday, June 14, 2013

Days 2 & 3

So the Saturday and Sunday after the surgery were pretty uneventful.  I tried to sleep as well as I could for being on the couch.  Getting up and to the bathroom proved to be fairly easy and I was generally moving around pretty well.  Showers were interesting as I had to "hop" in and balance on my good leg and try to wash my body, needless to say this wore me out quite a bit more than I expected and usually included a period of rest after completed.  I wasn't experiencing any pain with the exception of the tenderness at the incision sites.  Eating was kind of tough...I didn't have much of an appetite and when I finally got hungry I didn't really know what I wanted.  So there was a lot of last minute decisions to run to local spots to pick up food.  I did make it out for a couple of trips to the store to get necessities as we figured out what I needed to make myself more comfortable.  I appreciated having friends stop by and hang out to keep me company, even though the meds kept me pretty lethargic.  I also was able to make it out to the pool with the help of Sara and Sarah.  We got a pretty sweet set up by placing one of our patio chairs on the second step of the pool as it is fairly deep and wide, and allowed me to keep the surgigal site just above the level of the water.  My bandages were covered with a Tegaderm-type bandage so I wasn't too worried about getting them wet.  They then moved the umbrella and stand over so that it covered the general area where I would be sitting.  I gently lowered myself in and was able to sit and enjoy the pool for a bit.  Hindsight being 20/20, I probably pushed myself a bit much that first weekend, but I felt so good and I knew I'd be confined for awhile so I wanted to get out as I could.  Below are some tips and things to consider, based on my first weekend.

  • I know this goes without saying, but STAY ON TOP OF THE PAIN WITH YOUR MEDS-     I can admit I am guilty of not wanting to take any meds, I'm terrible at taking Tylenol or ibuprofen, but this is so very important to prevent discomfort and unnecessary pain.
  • Try to keep eating meals and snacks at regular times - helps with the pain meds and obviously you need fuel
  • Stay hydrated - I felt that my mouth was always dry and just wanted water and sweet tea
  • Get a raised toilet seat - depending on your strength, balance, etc., you can probably get away with just the raised seat, but you may opt for the one with extra handles/bars on the sides for support in lowering and raising yourself down on it.  I was OK just using the seat without the bars.
  • Shower seat - I personally did not get one or use one.  Again, this may be dependent on your strength, balance, etc.  I did not get one because I was going to be using a smaller stand alone shower, and also considered the need to then lower and raise myself while wet in a confined area...I liked my chances going it alone with a spotter, Sara.
  • Comfy clothes - this probably also should go without saying, but it should be noted.  I prefered technical athletic material, basically anything I already had in my running dresser.  The exception to this was the shorts, I prefer shorts made of that athletic material, but longer like basketball shorts and with pockets.  Do not underestimate the need for pockets!  How else will you carry things while on crutches? (UnderArmour makes an awesome pair called HeatGear Performance Loose that I have 3 pairs of)
  • Crutch pads - buy the extra padding for the crutches, you're going to be on them for awhile.  I picked up a pack at Walgreen's that included pads for the handles as well.  You may also want to consider cycling or weight-lifting gloves to protect your hands from blisters from the friction...but then again, I probably got mine due to being overactive those first few days.
  • Pillows - not just for your head, but between your legs.  You will be way more comfortable if you can keep your hips/legs aligned at about hip-width.  I slept and lounged with one between my legs, even while lying on my back.
  • Couch - it is my opinion that a comfy couch is the best place to be the first few days.  Centrally located, near a TV, and, if positioned correctly on it while sleeping, you will deter yourself from rolling onto the incision side.

No comments:

Post a Comment